NR510 Wk 3 APN Leader Interview Project
APN Leader Interview Project
Guidelines with Scoring Rubric
The purpose of this application is to provide the student an opportunity to interview an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) leader about competencies necessary for APN role development.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
CO 2: Integrate interprofessional collaboration and innovative communication to support and promote the teaching-coaching function of advanced practice nursing (PO 3).
CO3: Assimilate primary care competencies into APN/specialty nurse practitioner practice that exemplify professional values, scholarship, service, and culturally competent global awareness and support ongoing professional and personal development (PO 5).
CO7: Critically analyze legislative and regulatory issues including independent practice and restraint of trade, and business and legal requirements for the four advanced practice nursing roles of CNS, CNP, CNM, and CRNA (PO 1, 9).
CO8: Examine the contribution of various interprofessional collaboration resources including the role dimension of consultant for advanced practice nursing (PO 3).
CO9: Evaluate strategies for contract negotiation, CV/resume writing, credentialing, national board certification, hospital privileges, and reimbursement (PO 8).
CO10: Develop visionary leadership skills that combine best evidence with nursing expertise to support quality improvement, safety, and change across healthcare organizations and systems (PO 1, 3, 8, 9).
CO11: Differentiate leadership strategies that strengthen interprofessional collaboration and incorporate an ethic of care, values, and ethical principles into the role of the nurse leader across healthcare organizations and systems (PO 2, 4, 5, 6, 7).
Due Date: Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 3
Total Points Possible: 150
1. To complete this application, you will need to access to the following databases: CINAHL, MEDLINE, Cochrane Library, and the Joanna Briggs Institute. You may access these databases through the Chamberlain College of Nursing Online Library
2. The APN Leader Interview project will be graded on quality of information, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading criteria/rubric.
3. Create your report using Microsoft Word 2007 (a part of Microsoft Office 2007), which is the required format for all Chamberlain College of Nursing documents. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word 2007 document because it will end in “.docx”
4. Follow the directions and grading criteria closely. Any questions about this project may be posted under the Q & A forum.
5. The length of the project report is to be no less than 5 and no greater than 6 pages excluding title page and reference pages.
6. APA (2010) format is required with both a title page and reference page. Use the required components of the review as Level 1 headers (upper and lower case, centered):
2. Description of the 9 NONPF NP Core Competencies
3. Description of the Interview with the APN.
4. Analysis of the discussed APN competencies
Preparing the paper
The following are best practices for preparing this project paper:
1. Read “Interview Suggestions and Tips” in Course Resources.
2. Review the 9 NONPF Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies.
3. Identify an APN with whom to conduct an interview. The APN should practice in one of the following roles: CNS, CNP, CNM, or CRNA.
4. When conducting the interview, be sure to identify appropriate background information regarding the interviewee (who, what, where, when, and why).
5. Discuss 4-5 APN core competencies with the interviewee. Be sure to identify appropriate details including relevant practice examples gleaned from the APN leader.
6. When analyzing the discussed APN competencies, be sure to fully address each APN competency discussed in terms of original source and leader’s application to APN role (i.e., Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies [NONPF, 2011]).
7. Conclude the paper with a summary of the main points covered in the paper and the benefits of meeting the competencies within the APN role.
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty [NONPF]. (2011). Nurse practitioner core competencies. Washington, DC: Author.
Category Points % Description
Introduction 10 6 Introduces the interview, purpose of the interview, and provides rationale for engaged interview process.
Description of the NONPF Core Competencies 30 20 Provide a comprehensive summary of the 9 NONPF core competencies as they relate to APN practice.
Description of the APN Leader Interviewed 30 20 Provide a brief description of the APN leader selected for this interview. Include relevant information regarding the rationale for choosing the APN leader, the APN’s role and scope, practice details, practice location, and patient population.
Analysis of the discussed APN competencies 40 26 Include 4-5 selected APN competencies discussed in terms of original source and leader’s application to APN role. Include subheadings as needed. Use examples from the interview that support your assertions as well as relevant examples from the APN leader’s advanced practice situation and perspective.
Conclusion 20 13 An effective conclusion identifies the main ideas and major conclusions from the body of your report. Minor details should not be included. Summarize the benefits of meeting selected APN competencies within the APN role.
Clarity of writing 15 10 Use of standard English grammar and sentence structure. No spelling errors or typographical errors. Organized around the required components using appropriate headers.
APA format 5 5 All information taken from another source, even if summarized, must be appropriately cited in the report (including citation of interview) and listed in the references using APA (6th ed.) format:
Title and reference pages
Citations in the text and references.
Total 150 100 A quality assignment will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.
Assignment Criteria Exceptional
Outstanding or highest level of performance Exceeds
Very good or high level of performance Meets Satisfactory level of performance Needs Improvement
Poor or failing level of performance Developing
Unsatisfactory level of performance
Possible Points = 150
Introduction 10 Points 9 Points 8 Points 4 Points 0 Points
Excellent introduction of interview process. Rationale is well presented and purpose fully developed. Thesis statement is well written. Good understanding and use of interview application. Thesis statement needs further development. Basic understanding and/or limited use of interview application and/or inappropriate emphasis on an area. Thesis statement needs development. Little or very general introduction of interview process. Little to no explanation; inappropriate emphasis on an area. Missing thesis statement. No introduction provided.
Description of the NONPF core competencies 30 Points 26 Points 24 Points 11 Points 0 Points
Excellent discussion of the 9 NONPF competencies. Includes subheadings supported with references. Good discussion of selected NONPF competencies. Includes subheadings supported with references. Basic discussion of selected NONPF competencies. Includes subheadings supported with references. Little or very general discussion of NONPF competencies. Little or no subheadings or references. No discussion of selected NONPF competencies.
Description of the APN Leader Interviewed 30 Points 26 Points 24 Points 11 Points 0 Points
Provides a brief description of the APN leader selected for this interview. Includes relevant information regarding the rationale for choosing the APN leader, the APN’s role and scope, practice details, practice location, and patient population. Provides a brief description of the APN interviewed, but the relevant details regarding the leader’s practice need further explanation. Provides a brief description of the APN interviewed, but is missing relevant details regarding the leader’s practice. Provides some information regarding the APN interviewed. Missing all relevant details about the leader’s practice. Does not include information about the APN leader interviewed.
Analysis of the Discussed APN Competencies 40 Points 35 Points 32 Points 15 Points 0 Points
Excellent analysis of 4-5 selected APN competencies with application to APN role, and use of original source. Good analysis of selected APN competencies with application to APN role, and use of original source. Basic analysis of selected APN competencies and/or analysis of APN competencies not supported with original source. Little or very general analysis of APN competencies, or missing one or more of the original source(s). Little or no application to interview and/or APN role. No analysis of APN competencies provided.
Conclusion 20 Points 18 Points 16 Points 8 Points 0 Points
Excellent understanding of APN competencies. Conclusions are well evidenced and fully developed. Good understanding and/or limited use of APN competencies. Conclusions are well evidenced and fully developed. Basic understanding and/or limited use of APN competencies and/or inappropriate emphasis on an area. Little understanding of application of APN competencies to role. Little to no explanation; inappropriate emphasis on an area. No understanding of the application of APN competencies to the role provided.
Content Subtotal _____of 130 points
Possible Points = 20 Points
Clarity of Writing 15 Points 13 Points 12 Points 6 Points 0 Points
Excellent use of standard English showing original thought. No spelling or grammar errors. Well organized with proper flow of meaning.
Good evidence of own expression and competent use of language. No more than two spelling or grammar errors. Well organized thoughts and concepts. Some evidence of own expression and competent use of language. No more than three spelling or grammar errors. Well organized thoughts and concepts. Language needs development. Four-to-six spelling and/or grammar errors. Poorly organized thoughts and concepts.
More than six spelling and/or grammar errors. Poorly organized thoughts and concepts.
APA Format 5 Points 4 Points 3 Points 2 Points 0 Points
APA format, grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation are accurate, or with zero to one errors. Two to four errors in APA format, grammar, spelling, and syntax noted. Five to seven errors in APA format, grammar, spelling, and syntax noted. Eight to nine errors in APA format, grammar, spelling, and syntax noted. Post contains greater than ten errors in APA format, grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation or repeatedly makes the same errors after faculty feedback.
Format Subtotal _____of 20 points
Total Points _____of 150 points