CJA 305 Week 3 State v Stu Dents Court Case Prosecution and Defense Arguments
Present the prosecution and defense arguments for a case. Come to a consensus for both sides. Take this opportunity to imagine yourself in the place of the defense/prosecution.
You continue to excel as the newest paralegal in your law firm. Your next task is to organize a modified mock trial to assist the lawyers in preparing for the pending trial.
Write a 1,050-word paper that includes each side’s arguments.
Defense group, address the following as you write your arguments:
- Does your team feel this defendant is competent to stand trial? Why or why not?
- Distinguish between competency to stand trial and an insanity defense.
- What is required in your state for an insanity defense?
- What steps must be taken to prove insanity?
Prosecution group, address the following as you write your arguments:
- Define types of homicide and corpus delicti. How is this related to the case?
- List the elements of each crime and the facts that establish each element.
- Provide a specific state law for each charge and identify the state where that law is effective. Each group member’s state needs to be represented.
- Include the state where your case would be the strongest.