CNL 515 Week 7 Counseling Skills and Informed Consent Paper & Chart
Practicing Action Planning: Video 3 CNL-515 ASSIGNMENTS
Part One: Informed Consent
Watch the videos in the topical resources that demonstrate counseling micro skills and the videos regarding using Zoom. Review the “Skills Video Best Practices” and the “Counseling Skills Scale: Video 3” documents prior to recording your video. Take note of the specific skills in each area as you prepare to record your video.
Ask a volunteer to let you practice with them. Once they have agreed, have them complete the attached “Counseling Informed Consent Form- Volunteer” Form. Make sure the volunteer initials each section and signs and dates the form. The form must be completed and in your hand prior to recording any sessions with the volunteer.
*Important Note: Only adults can be used as volunteers. The volunteer must present a mock problem for you to practice the skills. Please confirm the session is a mock session. The adult can pretend to be a child in the fictional scenario. This session is to practice basic skills which will build upon as you work towards practicum and internship experience with real scenarios. Focus on the skills development rather than resolving the client’s concern.
Part Two: Record a Video Session Using Zoom
Watch the videos in the topical resources that demonstrate counseling micro skills and the videos regarding using Zoom. Review the “Skills Video Best Practices” and the “Counseling Skills Scale” documents prior to recording your video. Take note of the specific skills in each area as you prepare to record your video.
To record to your local computer, follow the instructions below:
- Start a meeting as the host.
- Click on the “Record” button in the Zoom toolbar.
- Select “Record on this Computer” to begin recording.
- To stop recording, click “Pause/Stop Recording” or “End Meeting.”
Once the recording has stopped, the recording must be processed before viewing or accessing it. You can locate the MP4 video file recording in a Zoom folder following the path below for these devices:
PC: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Zoom
Mac: /Users/User Name/Documents/Zoom
This video should be between 20-25 minutes in length. In this video, you will be practicing the skills learned throughout this course. This session will build upon previous skills demonstrated and assessed. In addition, you will brainstorm possible goals the client can achieve and then collaboratively identify one or two specific, measurable, and achievable goals for the client to work towards between sessions. Review commitment level of your client and reinforce commitment language if present. Remember the scenario discussed in the session should be fictional. Your job is to do the following:
- Demonstrate ability to welcome the client and begin the process of developing rapport.
- Demonstrate ability to review informed consent.
- Demonstrate SOLER skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to use open-ended questions to learn more about the problem and to move the session forward.
- Demonstrate verbal and nonverbal empathetic listening skills (meaning and emotions).
- Demonstrate verbal and nonverbal active listening skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to challenge the client in a caring way, including identification of blind spots.
- Demonstrate the ability to point out discrepancies between the client’s values, abilities, strengths and what their current problem or behavior is they are experiencing.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and gently challenge distorted and/or irrational beliefs or thoughts.
- Demonstrate ability to brainstorm list of possible goals.
- Demonstrate the ability to collaboratively help the client develop specific, measurable and achievable goals.
- Demonstrate the ability to help the client commit to change.
Part Three: Counseling Skills Scale Reflection
Complete and submit the “Counseling Skills Scale: Video 3” document by evaluating the skills you demonstrated in the video. Review each of the skills and provide a few specific examples of each skill in the comments section. Make sure to complete Part 2 of the Skills scale document to provide a narrative review of strengths and areas of growth. Make sure to add a link to the recorded Zoom session before submitting this document. In addition, submit a completed copy of the “Counseling Informed Consent Form-Volunteer”form.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
This assignment is informed by the following CACREP Standards:
2.F.5.f. Counselor characteristics and behaviors that influence the counseling process.
2.F.5.g. Essential interviewing, counseling, and case conceptualization skills.
2.F.5.h. Developmentally relevant counseling treatment or intervention plans.
2.F.5.i. Development of measurable outcomes for clients.