ECE 450 Unit Planning Field Experience Reflection
For this field experience, you will select a grade level K-3 with a culturally and academically diverse student population. As you observe your mentor teacher implementing instruction, make note of the use of pre-assessments and other formative assessments, and how the teacher uses that data (the responses) to adjust instruction to meet individual student needs.
After your observation, interview your mentor teacher about standards, pre-assessments, and the process of unit planning.
During your interview, discuss the following:
- What is the value of planning a long-term unit plan verses individual lesson plans?
- How do you review state standards and determine when to teach them during a school year?
- What is your process for unit planning?
- How does pre-assessment data drive the instruction in your unit plan?
- How do assessment practices drive the success of unit planning?
- Create one question of your own to ask
– MY QUESTION FOR THE TEACHER IS; HOW DO YOU DIFFERENTIATE YOUR CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT WHEN USING UNIT PLANNING AND STATE STANDARDS IN PRE-ASSESSING.
Discuss with your mentor teacher topics currently being covered in the field experience classroom and how they can be integrated with the arts. Arrange to implement a lesson during the Topic 5 clinical field experience that integrates music and correlates with topics currently being covered in the field experience class.
Following your field experience, write a 250-500 word reflection discussing the knowledge you gained from your interview and observations. Describe your thoughts on unit planning, assessment, and the use of data to meet the learning needs of diverse students. How will this affect your future professional practice?