ECE315 Week 2 – Assignment Language Rich Environment
Week 2 – Assignment
Language Rich Environment
[WLO: 3] [CLOs: 1, 2]
All children learn language in a language-rich setting, which means it is important for you think about the types of communication and interactions that you want to see take place in your environment. For this assignment, you will discuss learning environments that foster language development.
To prepare for this assignment,
- Read Chapter 3 of the course text.
- Watch Supporting Oral Language Development in a Language-Rich Environment (Links to an external site.).
- Open Language Rich Environment Photos and choose three images to analyze.
- Use the Language Rich Environment Template to complete this assignment.
In your 2 to 3 page paper
- Compose a brief introduction that will prepare your reader for what is to come in the paper (one to two paragraphs).
- Provide the name for each of the three images you selected.
- For each of the three images you will
- Examine how this area could be set up in a learning environment.
- Explain how this area supports language development.
- Determine, based on the age of children you plan to work with, an activity or experience in this area. In other words, what would children do in this space in your learning environment?
- Describe how you will assess the effectiveness of this area on language development.
The Language Rich Environment paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of Paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed, and other credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Note: You will be asked to summarize the information from this assignment into your Final Presentation for Week 5, where you will be asked to discuss three physical areas you might create to support language development for children. You may want to look ahead to the Final Presentation directions located in Week 5 to understand how you can adapt this assignment to fit those requirements.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.