ECE315 Week 3 – Assignment Language Development Interview
Week 3 – Assignment
Language Development Interview
[WLOs: 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2]
Much of the knowledge we gain comes from our learning through personal experiences. For this assignment, you will spend time talking with an experienced preschool teacher, discussing the support of language acquisition and language developmental stages in the classroom.
To prepare for your assignment,
- Review Chapters 5 and 6 of the class text.
- Locate two scholarly sources related to language development.
- Select five of these Language Development Interview Questions to ask your chosen experienced preschool teacher.
- Download the Language Development Interview template to complete this assignment.
In your 3 to 5 page paper
- Compose a brief introduction that will allow your reader to follow its organization and the focus of your discussion (one to two paragraphs).
- Document the interview. Either provide the video recording (with permission) or write the questions and corresponding answers.
- Analyze the provided interview responses using your knowledge gained, the textbook, and at least two other resources to substantiate or refute their answers. You can elaborate for or against their responses to further strengthen your own understanding.
- Propose three ways you will meet the needs of preschool children to support their language development using the provided answers and your knowledge.
- List your references in APA Style (Links to an external site.) on a separate references page at the end of your document.
Note: You will be asked to refer to this interview when composing your Final Presentation for this course, where you will propose three strategies you might implement to support the language development of children in your learning environment. You will want to refer to strategies you learn from this interview as well as any you discover in your readings. You may want to look ahead to the Final Presentation directions located in Week 5 to understand how you will adapt this assignment to fit those requirements.
The Language Development Interview paper
- Must be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed, or credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.