ECE315 Week 4 – Assignment Language Lesson Plan
Week 4 – Assignment
Language Lesson Plan
[WLO: 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 4]
While language skills are developed and strengthened through natural experiences, there are times when you need to intentionally teach language skills to the children you are working with. One way to do this is through planning a lesson that targets a specific language skill. In this assignment, you will have the opportunity to develop a lesson that will meet the needs of the children from one of four scenarios.
To prepare for this assignment,
- Read Chapters 7 and 8 from the text.
- Read the Early Childhood and Child Development: Lesson Plan Handbook.
- Review the ECE315 Week 4 Lesson Plan Template and Sample created for you.
- Choose one of the scenarios below to create your lesson:
- A preschool classroom (three- and four-year-old) with 18 students. In the class, two students are English language learners. Your lesson should focus on listening to and following directions.
- A primary grade classroom (either kindergarten, first, or second grade) with 21 students. In the class, four students are English language learners. Your lesson should focus on the correct use of positional words (over, under, next to, etc.).
- A middle school resource interventionist supporting children with low vocabulary skills. Your lesson should focus on expressing their thoughts and feelings.
- A counselor supporting adolescents. Your lesson should focus on learning how to respectfully share their opinions.
Include the following in your detailed 3 to 4 page lesson plan, using the template:
- Define the content area of the lesson.
- Identify the grade of the classroom.
- Indicate the approximate time necessary to complete the lesson.
- Outline the lesson objectives.
- Define appropriate materials needed to carry out the lesson.
- Describe the lesson procedure.
- Explain two to three strategies to support the children learning a second language.
- Create an assessment plan. How will you measure improvement?
- Plan a closing to your lesson. How will you end the lesson before transitioning to your next activity?
It is required that you use the ECE315 Week 4 Lesson Plan Template (Links to an external site.) provided to complete this portion of your assignment. You will complete all sections of the Lesson Plan Template except for the “standards” section for this assignment. It is suggested that you utilize the Early Childhood and Child Development: Lesson Plan Handbook, as well as the sample lesson plan given to you as a guide for how to more effectively plan this lesson. Your assignment must be formatted according to the web page Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.), referencing one other resource in addition to the course text. Since you will be using a template, it is not necessary to include a title and cover page.
In your 3 to 4 page Literacy Lesson Plan assignment you
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must use at least one scholarly, peer-reviewed, or credible source in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.