ECE405 Week 1 – Assignment
Culturally Relevant Methods
[WLOs: 3, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2]
As an early childhood educator or early childhood administrator you have such an important role in supporting each and every child in your care. Prior to writing this assignment, review the Teaching Children Cultural Competence in Early Childhood Education (Links to an external site.) article and Chapters 1 and 2 of your text. Then search for and read at least one additional scholarly source.
For this assignment, compile and present in tabular format a list of 15 culturally competent strategies for English language learners (ELLs) that you could use in your early childhood education teaching or leadership role. At least five of your strategies should be appropriate for infants/toddlers, five strategies should be appropriate for preschool, and five strategies should be appropriate for early elementary age.
Your chart should include the following four headings and provide content for each strategy of similar focus and depth, including support from one credible source for the “Print-Rich Environment” example shown below:
|Name of Strategy||Age Group||How strategy supports an aspect of diversity that is important in early childhood education||Specific example with explanation of this strategy will be used to support ELLs.|
|Print Rich Environment||Preschool||This strategy helps to support language development because children and families can see examples of language and vocabulary in the environment as a model for print and language.||Around the early childhood education environment, several index sized cards will be used to label areas of the classroom with common vocabulary terms that children and families need to learn. Examples include clock, chair, window, door, books, arts area, computers, etc.|
The Culturally Relevant Methods assignment
- Must include title and reference pages and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must use at least one credible source in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.