ELM 351 Topic 6 Assignment Civics/Government Lesson Plan
Differentiating instruction is vital to the individual growth of students. Social studies instruction provides students with opportunities to display knowledge and skills in multiple ways, including through the arts. The purpose of this assignment is to analyze a group of diverse students and design a standards-based lesson plan that meets the needs of all students while incorporating student experiences, cultures, and communities into instruction.
Select an upper elementary (5-8) grade level and at least one social studies standard related to civics or government and one arts standard. Using the “COE Lesson Plan Template,” write a complete lesson plan that is aligned to the standard you chose .
Include the following in your lesson plan:
- Classroom and Student Factors/Grouping: Based on your Clinical Field Experience class, describe the class and student factors that affect instructional planning. Use this information to differentiate for the needs of students throughout the lesson plan.
- National/State Learning Standards: Identify one world history and one arts standard for your selected grade level.
- Specific Learning Target(s)/Objectives: Create at least one specific learning objective that is aligned to both standards.
- Academic Language: List relevant academic language and how it will be modeled.
- Resources, Materials, Equipment, and Technology: Describe resources required for the lesson, including media or technology that can be used for differentiation and that supports real-world application.
- Multiple Means of Representation: Explain how content will be presented to meet the needs of all students.
- Multiple Means of Engagement: Include at least one learning activity that enhances student learning within standards-based social studies instruction.
- Multiple Means of Expression: Describe formative and summative assessments that enhance student learning within standards-based social studies instruction.
In a 100-250 word reflection, explain how your differentiated instructional strategies integrate technology and incorporate student experiences, culture, and communities through real-world application.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.