PUB 560 GCU Prevalence of Zoonotic or Vector Borne Diseases Research Paper
Identify a zoonotic or vector-borne disease prevalent in a specific region of a developed or developing country. Complete a two-part informative assignment that includes both an illustrated and written component discussing the incidence and response to the disease.
Illustrate the following for the identified zoonotic or vector-borne disease:
- Create a diagram or flowchart: Describe the chain of infection (agent, host, and environment). Include the reservoir, routes of exposure, disease transmission. Illustrate the symptoms and identify susceptible populations.
- Identify one or more surveillance reports using the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) or National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS) resources and discuss the methods used in data collection. Use a table or graph to present data from the report. Summarize the information of the report, including the burden of the disease and the morbidity and mortality rates in the region.
In a 500-750 word paper, evaluate the incidence and response to the identified zoonotic or vector-borne disease.
- Describe public health interventions used to treat or prevent the disease.
- Using One Health as at least one reference, discuss predictions for the future spread of the disease and how it will impact human, animal, and ecosystem health in this region.
- Propose strategies for containment and prevention. Discuss the necessary agencies and stakeholders important to addressing the issue.
You are required to cite to three to five sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.