SPED 576 Week 1 Autism Spectrum Disorder Presentation
Wk 1 – Autism Spectrum Disorder Resource
- Imagine that you are an autism specialist recently hired by a large school district to support the teachers and school staff that work with children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In addition, you are responsible for collaborating with the families of the children to promote consistency with potential behavior challenges, continuity in learning, and positive clear school-to-home communication.
It has been brought to the attention of the District Office that inaccurate information has been provided at some sites on early indicators and characteristics of learners with ASD. The Special Education Department Chair wants all schools in the district to provide the same information to teachers and staff regarding ASD and assigns this task to you.
Choose from the following deliverables to create your informational resource:
- 8- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation
- 6-panel brochure
- Include the following information in your informational resource:
- Brief explanation of historical foundations
- Federal and Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) definitions of ASD
- Etiology and prevalence
- Early indicators
- Characteristics of learners
- Evidence-based practices and service delivery models