ELM 303 Topic 1 Digital Presentation – The Importance of Literacy
Early literacy relies on appropriately preparing young children for reading. As young children are exposed to letters and sounds, they begin to build a foundation for phonemic awareness. This step is critical in preparing for the sequential order of reading instruction. Phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension build off each other to provide appropriate development for literacy.
Create a 12‐15 slide digital presentation intended to be shown to elementary general education classroom teachers within a professional development setting.
Address the following within your presentation:
· Describe the scope and importance of reading education history in the U.S.
· Discuss the importance of literacy in Grades K‐3 and the educational effects on students in their later academic years.
· Provide an overview of the Big 5 components of reading instruction (i.e., phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and text comprehension).
· Describe how the brain is involved in the Big 5 components of reading instruction and how the sequential order of each component is important for cognitive processing and reading instruction .
· Identify and describe two intervention strategies, per Big 5 component, for struggling readers. At least one strategy identified, per component, should be appropriate for students to use at home .
· Include a title slide, reference slide, and presenter notes.
· Support your presentation with 3‐5 scholarly resources.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in‐text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.