Ethical Practice Position Paper
The purpose of this assessment is to write an informative, scholarly, professional paper that presents a position on emerging ethical topics. The position paper should be supported by current evidence and focus on the application of ethical concepts and principles to identify ethical challenges in nursing practice.
You are a nurse leader who serves on an ethics committee in your healthcare organization. You are tasked with writing an informative, scholarly, professional position paper about ethical challenges in nursing practice and procedural alignment with the organization’s mission statement. The paper should explain common ethical challenges, the impact of these ethical challenges on stakeholders, and the nurse leader’s role in addressing these ethical challenges. You will present the paper to the ethics committee.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. The originality report that is provided when you submit your task can be used as a guide.
Professional Communications is a required aspect to pass this task. Completion of a spell check and grammar check prior to submitting your final work is strongly recommended.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
Develop an informative, scholarly, professional position paper for the ethics committee by doing the following:
- Discuss two ethical challenges in nursing practice that are common to your organization (Shannon Rehabilitation Hospital-San Angelo, Texas) as well as the ethical principles involved in the American Nursing Association (ANA) Code of Ethics.
- For each ethical challenge, describe one potential legal implication.
- Support your discussion with a minimum of two scholarly sources, published within the past five years, for each challenge. A minimum of one source of the two must be a course text or course resource.
- Discuss the responsibility of a nurse with a master’s degree acting in a leadership role within the organization by doing the following:
- Describe the nurse leader’s role in applying a published, ethical decision-making model to one of the ethical challenges in part A.
- Discuss the actual or potential stakeholders involved in and affected by the outcome of the ethical decision-making process and the potential impact on each stakeholder.
- Describe the role of interdisciplinary team members throughout the ethical decision-making process.
- Describe a transformational leadership strategy that the nurse leader might use to promote interdisciplinary team collaboration during the ethical decision-making process.
- Explain how the actions taken in part B align with your organization’s mission statement.
What is your mission statement?
Encompass Health is driven by our purpose. We believe integrated care delivery across the healthcare continuum is critical to achieving the best outcomes for patients.