Which Italian city was the most important during the Late Gothic period?
Module 1: General Reading and Video Questions (10 points total):
The answers for these questions can be found in your readings and videos. Each answer should be at least five sentences long and respond to all parts of the question.
- Which Italian city was the most important during the Late Gothic period? What was going on in this city that made it so important?
- What is tempera (or gold ground) painting? What is fresco painting? How do these two painting techniques differ (materials, process, final appearance)? Provide an example of each technique.
- How would you describe Cimabue’s style? What connection does he have to Giotto?
- What was new and different about Giotto’s art?
- What were some of the similarities and differences between the cities of Florence and Siena?
- What was the Black Death and when did it occur? How did the Black Death affect the lives of the people in Europe? How did it affect the art?
- Following the Black Death in Europe there were a number of changes in the economic system. Describe these changes. What impact did these changes have on society?
- What role did Duccio’s Maesta have in the city of Siena?
Additional resources for assignment